CWCE Policies and Procedures
Initial Certification Candidates ONLY
Effective Date September 1, 2017
Overview of Matheson FCE Certifications:
Congratulations on choosing to pursue certification in this highly skilled specialty area of Occupational Rehabilitation. By committing to the FCECP training and applying for the CWCE designation you are taking the next step in being regarded as an advanced practitioner in this rapidly growing specialty.
The Matheson Certification for FCE is the longest standing and most highly regarded professional certification in the area of Functional Capacity Evaluation and Industrial/Occupational Rehabilitation. The Matheson brand is recognized for worldwide for its comprehensive high quality training which makes the Certified Work Capacity Evaluator (CWCE) one of the most frequently requested designations by referral sources.
As a highly sought after designation the standards set are of the highest level to assure your certification is meaningful this is why you are not certified simply by attending the Functional Capacity Evaluation Certification Program. The CWCE process is meant to contribute to your learning experience and assist you in improving your work product, enhancing your skills and growing your reputation and practice to the next level.
To be eligible for certification as a CWCE (Certified Work Capacity Evaluator) the candidate must:
1. Be a current practicing:
- Occupational Therapist or Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Physical Therapist or Physical Therapy Assistant
- Athletic Trainer
*Please be aware this list of professionals is not cross referenced with any state or provincial guidelines related to scope of practice for these healthcare professionals. It is YOUR responsibility to assure you are permitted to perform and bill for FCE’s in your geographical location.
The CWCE Application Process:
1. Attend and complete the FCECP training program.
2. Perform 10 FCE’s within 1 year following your training. If you are unable to meet this time frame please email the Matheson Certification Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Complete the Documentation Self –Assessment form on each of the 10 reports you intend to list on the form. Doing this will allow you to assess your work before submitting to the certification committee.This form was provided in the FCECP training and is also available on the website under the Alumni tab.
4. Go to www.roymatheson.com and LOG IN. Go to the ALUMNI tab. If this is your first visit to the site since taking the training you will need a user name and password. If you took an in person course this was provided to you following your training in an email. If you took an online course the credentials used to access training are the same ones you will use to access the certification information.
5. Click on the CERTIFICATION heading.
6. Complete the online certification application (and continuing education form if recertifying) within 1 year of completing the FCECP training. If you are beyond this time frame please email email@example.com to REQUEST an EXTENSION.
7. The Application consists of the following items:
- Demographic Information
- Professional Experience
- Statement of Professional Practice (included in the application)
- Report Submission List (10) evaluations performed AFTER the FCECP training. Please be sure the 10 reports you list are reflective of your best work.
- Pay the $250 fee via credit card or send check to:Matheson Education and Training Solutions
166 South River Road; Suite 240
Bedford, NH 03110
8. Upon completion of the application you will be notified via email which reports the Matheson Certification Committee has chosen to review.
9. Prepare the 2 requested reports by making them ANONYMOUS removing any names which may compromise privacy This can be done in WORD via Find and Replace or by blacking out any identifying information. Raw data, i.e. associated test forms or score sheets must accompany the reports. It is required that the applicant be the person responsible for the preponderance of the evaluation. Any sections not performed the the CWCE Candidate should be identified as such in the margin of the report or via an attachment to the document.
10. Upload reports to firstname.lastname@example.org.
11. Once the reports have been received the applicant will receive a confirmation email from the Matheson Certification Committee.
12. The applicant will be notified as to Pass/Fail status within 12 week of submission.
Upon completion of the critique the candidate will be classified as passing or failing.
A. PASSING – candidates will receive the following:
- An email from the Matheson Certification Committee with your critique form. Your official certificate will be mailed to you. Please note certificates are prepared 1x per month in a batch for all candidates who have passed all certifications.
- Certification is valid for a period of 3 years from the date on the CWCE certificate. See Re-Certification for additional details on this process.
B. FAILING – candidates will receive the following:
- An email from the Matheson Certification Committee with your critique form indicating areas identified for improvement. As it is our goal to assist you to become certified the critique should be used as an action plan.
- Please review the items that need improvement and work to include the feedback in your clinical practice.
- You have 60 days from the date of the email to submit a NEW report which addresses the areas in the critique. Submission of a modified version of the original report will be an automatic failure.
- The new report should be emailed to email@example.com.
- There is no additional fee for the 2nd attempt to pass the certification, However, should the candidate fail on the 2nd attempt there will be an additional $100 fee for each critique required to pass the certification process. The committee may make recommendations for the candidate to take an on line refresher course, audit the FCECP training or take additional on-line training modules to go further in the process.